Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Storytelling Week 5: How Cat and Dog Became Enemies

For centuries cat and dog roamed the earth together. Man loved both cat and dog, but they both also lived free in the wild together. These animals would lie in the warm sun together and chase butterflies in the wind. Cat and dog often hunted together and ate similar foods. These two creatures looked out for one another.

Each year there was a grand gathering of all the dogs and cats in the surrounding areas. Everyone brought gifts and food of all kind to this grand event. Each year the dog leader Fido, and the cat leader Lily sat side by side at the center of the gathering. These two leaders were great friends and worked together so make all the animals of the land happy.
(Lily - Wikipedia)


One of the main events of this annual gathering was the big games. All the cats and dogs created teams and competed against each other in various games. The cats were usually good at the games of trickery, such as hide and seek. The dogs were usually good at games that involved strength, like tug of war. This year was the hundreth anniversary of this gathering, and the games were more grand and competitive than ever.

For the first time there was a grand prize for the team who won the most games. The winning cat team would compete against the winning dog team for an all out final games battle. The cats and dogs prepared for these games for weeks, never taking a day off to rest. They practiced balance, agility, speed, strength, focus and endurance. Every cat and dog believed that they had trained hard enough that they deserved to win that final prize.

The day finally came for the big games to start. Fido and Lily blew the opening horn to start the first race. As the day progressed it was clear what teams were in the running to compete in the final games battle. At the end of the day there were obvious winners for each cat and dog team. The dog team that won was called the Hip Hoppers, because they were quick on their toes. The winning cat team was the Sly Sneakers because they were expert hiders and trickers.

(Dog on the Hip Hoppers - Wikipedia)


Both teams went home that night to gear up for the next day. All the other cats and dogs went home sad about not winning, but also excited to cheer on their friends in the upcoming game battle.

All the cat's and dog's woke early that next morning anxious for the days festivities to come. Both sides were getting a little heated with each other because they had trained so hard for this and wanted to make their species proud. The Hip Hoppers and the Sly Sneakers went back and forth all day switching off winning and losing each game thrown their way. The crowd was going crazy from the excitement! They shouted advice and encouragement to their friends.

The last event of the day was finally here and both the teams were tied. Because these teams were tied this event was what would decide who won the grand battle and the grand prize. This final event was tug of war. The game went on for nearly ten minutes. Both of these teams were not giving up. The crowd was going crazy and wanted their teams to win just as bad as the teams competing. The cats were running in circles around the arena because they couldn't sit still from all the excitement. The dogs were concentrated on giving the Hip Hoppers all the advice and motivation possible.

The Hip Hoppers and Sly Sneakers finally started to tire out, and one team had to give up. The Sly Sneakers could no longer hold on so in unison they all let go. This caused the Hip Hoppers to all fall back on top of each other. The animals in the crowd were in utter shock. All the dogs rushed onto the field to help the Hip Hoppers up from their fall. The cats in the crowd ran to console the Sly Sneakers. The arena was now a very crowded place with all the animals in it. The cats and the dogs started fighting and talking badly about each other. Fido and Lily went into the pile of animals to try and calm them all down. They were unable to help the situation and eventually got involved with the fighting as well. From this day on cat and dog have never liked each other. They are often still seen competing for the attention of humans and competing for objects and food.

Author's note:
This story is based on two Khasi folktales. These stories both describe different ways these animals came to live with humans.

The first story is "How the Cat Came to Live With Man." This story is about a cat who has a lion as a brother. The lion is not nice to the cat and one day the cat meets a group of nice children that pet her and treat her well. The cat ends up running away and staying with the children after her brother gets really mad at her. This is how cats came to live with man.

The second story is "How the Dog Came to Live With Man." A dog goes to an annual gathering where dogs from all over bring goods and food. This dog gets made fun of for what he brings to the gathering because it smells bad. The dog confides in a human about being made fun of. He becomes very fond of this human and continues to live with him because all the dogs treated him badly. This is how dog came to live with man.

I thought it would be interesting to add to these stories and make a story about dogs and cats instead of their relation to humans. Both of these stories are about the animals going against their own species. I wanted to make a story about them sticking together with their own kind.


Bibliography: How the Cat Came to Live With Man and How the Dog Came to Live With Man, Folktales of the Khasis, by Mrs K.U. Rafi, 1920.


13 comments:

  1. Macey, great story! I loved how your story was completely about animals. It reminded me of the Hunger Games for some reason haha. I was not expecting the end at all! I thought it would have a happy ending… but I was wrong! I have never heard of the original story before, but it sounds very interesting! Overall, great job! You are a very good writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Macey! I really liked how you chose to combine the two stories together so creatively! It’s interesting how in both of the stories the animals are going against their own species… I agree with you and thought it was a nice twist to have them working together! I also liked the idea of the competition between the two species as an explanation as to how the cat and dog became enemies. I wonder what would happen if the cats would have won the tug of war?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat story! I really liked how you turned the story around to the animal against animal. It was a nice plot twist compared to the animal human. I think the ending was the best part. How the dogs and cats have been in war against each other ever since the end of the games. It was an unexpected ending that is always exciting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also read the Khasi Folk Tales! It was interesting to me to read stories in which man and animals lived and communicated together. I like how you incorporate two of the stories you read! I haven’t yet combined multiple stories to create my own version.
    I love your idea to make your story about cats and dogs in relation to one another! This was a great storytelling idea! I also loved the pictures you used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you took a theme that is common in our society and turned it into a story. People either have to be cat people, or they have to be dog people, but not both. It was clever to rewrite the story with the cats and dogs in relation to each other instead of their relation to humans. A competition is a great way to do this. It sounds like the animal Olympics.
    I like the name of your two teams a lot. Hip Hoppers and Sly Sneakers are two perfect names, and I like the alliteration between them.
    My only suggestion is to chose a slightly different final event. In you beginning of the story you mention that dogs are good with games of strength, such as tug of war. It would be more interesting to see the final battle be something where neither the cats nor the dogs are favored.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Macey! I really like how you set up this story. I found it interesting that you based your story on two different stories. I never thought about combining two stories into one, and I am impressed by this unique style. I immediately like your story when I saw that it was about animals, and cats and dogs especially. Cats and dogs have always been viewed in movies and books as hating each other, so I was not surprised that they were enemies in your story. However, what was surprising is how that came to be. I liked how the whole story was a competition between the cats and the dogs. I wonder if you were trying to base the story off of The Hunger Games? I couldn’t help but see a lot of similarities while I was reading it. Overall, your story was very enjoyable to read and I look forward to reading more of your stories in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Macey! I think that you did a great job of incorporating the original stories and giving an interesting twist on them! I have two dogs, so naturally that was who I was rooting for to win the games. Your setup for the tale is very interesting and it was cool to see that it was an annual event for the cats and dogs. I agree with Carmen, however, that you might look into changing the final event from something other than tug of war. Or just simply change what event you mention earlier on in the story to something else so as not to give preference to the dog’s team. I also really liked the pictures you used for your story; they added a whole other element to it! Particularly the dog jumping through the water was my favorite. I hope you’re having a great semester and can’t wait to come back and read more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Macey. That was a great story! You did a great job at rewriting a story based on the orignial stories. This was just a brilliant idea. I love how you found two stories from your reading, and decided to combine them into one story. That was just a mind blowing method and creative. Wow. I was so surprised after I read this story because It was so smooth so I had no clue that this story was written based on two stories that you have read. I thought i was from a single story! A more credit for your story. I think you did a great job at writing as well. Not only this writing style was so creative and surprising, but also great job at rewriting a story based on those. Great job! If you do not mind, I think this would be a great way to rewrite a story, so I might use it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked this story a lot! I have often wondered why dogs and cats don't always get along with each other. I like how you answered that question with this story and provided an origin for the tension cats and dogs have. Your story kind of made me think of the olympics so I was envisioning that haha. Maybe you could do another story where a cat and a dog defy the unwritten rule of dogs and cats not liking each other. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed your story. I liked how you had that dogs and cats were originally friends and it was an Olympic like competition that drove them apart and they became enemies. You did a great job putting this together and I could not tell that it was created from two different stories. I look forward to reading more from you. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey sweet Macey! Loved your story! It is so cool how you told a story on why cats and dogs and explained why they are enemies! You did a great job using things that symbolize cats, such as “hide and seek games” and things that symbolize dogs “tug or war games” because those definitely set the two different types of animals apart! It is so funny that the cats and the dogs were so competitive and that losing a game created some serious tension and problems! Of course Fido and Lily got involved when trying to break up the fight because that is usually what happens when two competitive people try to intervene with something! Also, the pictures in your story are so cute and give the story an overall adorable look and feel! Fido and Lily are adorable :) Great job Macey! I am looking forward to reading more of your stories in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Macey! I enjoyed your retelling of the two stories about cats and dogs. I thought it was neat that you were able to combine elements of the two stories to make this one about why cats and dogs became enemies. Like Bailey said above, you did a great job at selecting the right elements and little details in your story so that it made sense for either dogs or cats. I have read a few tales about why the two aren't friends and each time its something different but that makes sense... which I think is so cool. I like the pictures you included, they showed the dogs and cats personalities really well. One thing I wish your story had was some dialogue; I think that could have been another really cool way to show the personalities of the different species! Overall a really great job, this story was as fun to read as the one about Sparky the fish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Macey,

    I really enjoyed getting to sit down and ready your story, it was very well done! You did a great job on the retelling of the two stories about dogs and cats . It was great how you were able to take characteristics from each story and implement them into your own story, but make something completely different. I have read other stories about why the dog and cat are not friends and each and every time it is for a different reason, but they all make sense. You did a great job on picking the pictures and capturing the personalities of each animal. The only thing I think that would enhance your story would be a few tidbits of dialogue, here and there, to show more differences between the cat and dog. Anyways, very good job and good luck the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete