Thursday, March 3, 2016

Storytelling - The Three Brothers Continued

Author's Note: This story is an expanded ending of a Congo story, The Three Brothers. In this story a mother had three boys, triplets, and abandoned them by a river because she was unable to care for three babies. The river-spirit fed the three boys in their early years and allowed them to grow up to be strong men. It also provided the men with women to become their wives and the men end up building their own house, multiplying, and creating their own little town. The boys father one day was wandering around and saw his three son's and ran back to the village to tell his wife. The father and mother made their way to where the sons lived but the mom was an old lady and had to stop from exhaustion. One of the brothers son's saw them on their property and ran back to the house to tell about the intruders. The story ends with the brothers planning to kill the intruder but the river-spirit tells them that the intruder was their mom and they invite her inside. I really liked this story but it ends very abruptly and left me wondering what happens. After the brothers planned on hunting and killing the intruder I found it odd that the story ends with "And they did so," in regards to letting this lady into their house. Also, what happens to the father that came with their mother to find his sons too? So here is my own elaborated ending to the story.

(The Three Brothers in the River - Wikimedia)



The three brothers had always listened to the river-spirit, for it had saved their life. The river-spirit had never led the brothers wrong. This time they really had to think about what the spirit had said about the intruder though. They had never heard about their mother and knew nothing about her. How would they even be able to tell if it was her or not? The brothers also agreed that their priority was to keep themselves and their land safe. The brothers decided to go check out who this intruder was and then make a judgement on what to do with them once captured.

The brothers went to the spot where their son saw the intruder, but she wasn't there anymore. They searched the whole rest of the day for the intruder but could not find them. Later that night the river-spirit told them again that the intruder was their mother and to not harm her. The three brothers listened to this warning but decided to continue with their original plan of hunting and killing the intruder if they saw her again.

Meanwhile, the three brother's father had gone back into town to gather supplies in order to continue their journey. The mother rested in a ditch by the riverbed to wait for her husband to return from town and sleep. The father gathered a backpack full of water and food to bring back to his wife. She wanted to have as much energy and strength as she possibly could before she met her sons.

The brothers awoke the morning after the intruder was spotted on their land and spent that whole day searching far and wide again, but found nothing. They began to blame the brother's son who saw the intruder in the first place. They accused him of just seeing an animal or something, saying that it probably wasn't even a person at all. But again that night the river-spirit spoke to the brother's and assured them that the brother did see someone the previous day, and the person he saw was their mother.

After two days of searching, the brothers decided to call it quits. They came up with a plan in case they ever had future intruders and decided to be on guard for anyone on their land the next few days.

The brothers father had a hard and long day walking back to his son's house to meet his wife. When he met back up with her they rested for a few more hours and drank lots of water and filled up on food. After this long day, they finally decided it was time to go up to their son's house. It was nighttime now and the three sons were all inside.

The father and mother finally made it to the house. The mother was very excited to finally meet her grown sons, for she had wondered about them every day since giving birth to them. They knocked on the door but no one came to answer so they knocked again. Finally the door opened and they were greeted by the three sons holding bats and hunting weapons. The sons tried to come after their mother and father because they didn't know who they were. Their mother and father pleaded for them to stop and listen. The brothers finally did so because of all the warnings given by the river-spirits.

The three brothers eventually settled down enough to let their father and mother inside.  They stayed up and talked all night about their lives and everything their mother had missed out on. She explained how she always regretted leaving them but that she was unable to care for three children at that time in her life. She told them about the sadness she had when leaving them by the river that day, and her feelings about seeing the river now all these years later. She plead for the river-spirit to watch over her three babies before leaving that day, and somehow she knew that they would.

Their mother and father ended up moving in with the three sons. They lived out their final elderly years all as a big happy family.

Bibliography: Congo Unit, The Three Brothers, By. R.E. Dennett (1898).




6 comments:

  1. Macey, what a great story! I have never heard of the original story before, but it sounds so interesting. I can’t believe a mother would ever abandon her sons! What a horrible thought. I loved how you decided to make your own ending for this story because of curiosity. I think you have a great writing style and love getting to read your stories each week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Macey!
    I really enjoyed reading your story! I have never read the original one and now I would like to read it so i can compare them. I liked the way you set up your story. You really took the time to talk about the characters and put them straight into the main event which lead the story on a great adventure. Your sentence strcuture was good and easy to read. I like when there are paragraphs to read in stories because it tells me you had a lot to say and gives me the feeling that there is a lot more to the story. The ending of the story was probably my favorite. I love when there is a happy ending for all of the characters. It's especially great when it involves the family! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Macy,

    I think it was a great idea to expand on the ending to an existing story! A lot of the myths and legends end that way, it seems—it’s like the author made his point and just wants to get done with the story, but it basically leaves everyone hanging, or at least unsatisfied.

    I did feel like the story dragged a little bit at the beginning, though. There was a lot of telling about how the brothers searched and didn’t find the intruders, searched but didn’t find… Since you said in the author’s note that the son’s let the father and mother into their home, I expected the story to start there, rather than backtracking into the old story first. I think you could probably cut a lot of that out, and then expand on what happened once they all met each other.

    It also might help to give the characters names. It got a little confusing reading “The father of the sons,” and then “the son who saw the intruders,” etc.

    Overall, I really liked the concept and that you decided to fill in what was left out of the original!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of giving an end to a story you really connected with, and you did a great job! So often I feel side swiped by stories' endings, so you've given me a great idea for the next time that happens! I'll just write my own ending! I loved how suspicious you made the brothers. I would be that suspicious too if I had been essentially raised by river spirits. I think you did an excellent job describing exactly how the characters felt in your story. I could really feel their emotions along with them. I was a little surprised that the brothers weren't more excited about the possibility of meeting their parents, but I also understand that they had never really met before, so they had no clue what would happen. I think its a really great ending that the mother could express her regrets to the children, but that they forgave her and decided to live together

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really interesting story from the beginning on to the end. I think you did a great job too! I could feel the suspicions in the three brothers and could understand what they were feeling at that time. I would find it hard to let my parents in so easily after abandoning me for years and years. I also would be curious, however, to meet her and find out why she left. It's never too late for family and I think the mother realized what all she had missed out on. Can you imagine getting to meet your mother for the first time when you are fully grown and have families of your own? Very interesting, and I liked how it ended with a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Macey,
    This was a great story, it kept me engaged in the storyline throughout the entire reading. It was very interesting from the beginning to the end of it. I could feel a lot of suspicious from all three of the brothers, but I do not blame them after being raised by the river spirits. You really did an excellent job of describing how each character felt during the events of the story. It would be extremely hard for to just let my parents back into my life after they abandoned me for so many years. I think you did a really good job of putting the emotions out there, in which I could actually feel the emotions of each character in the story. I was actually surprised that the brothers weren’t at least a little bit excited to finally see their parents. Anyways, you did a really great job!

    ReplyDelete