Thursday, April 14, 2016

Storytelling - Fairy Ointment

Dear Diary,

Today I was going about my own business while wandering through the land of gumdrops and giant mushrooms. I came across one mushroom that had a thick goopy syrup at the base of it. This goop has the most amazing smell so I couldn’t not take a closer look. The smell was so wonderful, it was something that I had never experienced before. The goop also had a shimmery gleam about itself that almost seemed to glow. I bent down and put my face right up next to it so i could bask in the smell. But right when i was doing that a group of scurrying chipmunks ran behind me and I fell into the goop. It got it all in my face and hair. But after that, the most magical thing happened….

(The mushroom forest - 2k1.info)


When I finally got all the goop out of my eyes and was able to see again the land had totally changed. Or at least how I saw it. The once grey brown mushrooms were now brightly colored polka-doted mushrooms. There were thousands of light pastel colored butterflies all over the land, on the gumdrops, in the air and on the mushrooms. It was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Yeah, it did freak me out a little in the beginning, but everything in the land was so happy and peaceful.

 I spent nearly four hours dancing under the shade of the giant and beautiful mushrooms. I made friends with a pod of butterflies and they traveled with me, resting on my shoulder. When I realized it was time for me to head home I went back to the mushroom where I had fallen in the goop. I gather a jar full of the goop to see if I could make these magical thing appear anywhere else besides the land of the gum drops and mushrooms. 

I am now back home in my willow tree writing to you diary. I am excited to see if the goop will still be magical back at home. Do I have little magical butterflies fluttering around here too? Or maybe I have pixie fairy’s who will grant me wishes! Hopefully mom doesn’t find out about what happened, she wouldn’t be to happy if she heard about all my adventures. Mom often thinks I’m careless and don’t have enough fear because I’m always wandering off from land to land. 

Well here goes nothing. Stay tuned for next time diary and I’ll let you what happens!

- XOXO Daisy D Dwarf 



Author's Note: This story is based on the story Fairy Ointment from the English Fairy Tale unit. In the original story the fairy ointment is used by bad fairies so that they can become invisible to other and steal. I wanted my story to have the same concept of this magical fairy ointment, but instead to be used as a good thing. This ointment can make magical things come to life, and allows ordinary creatures to see these magical things. 

Bibliography: English Fairy Tale, Fairy Ointment, By. Joseph Jacobs (1890)

4 comments:

  1. This was a very cute story to read! I was a bit confused at first of what the creature writing this diary actually was, but then decided I didn't really mind what it was since the overall story was very good. The magical goop sounds.. well, magical, and the polka dot mushrooms that sprout up remind me of the mushrooms in Mario! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Macey! Wow I loved your storytelling this week! I had read another story that someone had written in class based off of the same Fairy Ointment story and it’s cool to see how both of you chose to put your own spin on it! It would be so fun to see everything Daisy D Dwarf saw that day in the land of mushrooms and gum drops… I bet it was amazing! You did a great job describing the scene and what was going on! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your story I particularly like the “wandering through the land of gumdrops and giant mushrooms”. I like the twist you made on the story, especially since I like the idea of a way for “normal” people of seeing magical things. Though this individual was walking through the land of gumdrops and giant mushrooms so I don’t know how “normal” he/she was. This was a really cute story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Macey! I really enjoyed your story. My favorite part was how descriptive you were throughout the story. I also enjoyed the twist in the story. A story is always much better if there is something that the reader doesn't expect. Plus, I love candy, so I don't mind reading about gumdrops. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete