Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Reading Diary Week 2 - Noah and the Ark Continued

This week I choose to read the story Noah and the Ark by Louis Ginzberg. This is the second part of the reading. I really liked this second part, I think I liked the second section better than the first. I especially liked the first four part of the second section, because it goes into a lot of detail about the ark.

One of the first paragraphs mentioned for just a second about the fish while the great flood was occurring. This really made me think. I think it could be interesting to write a story from the perspective of a fish/things that live in water during this great flood. To see there perspective on what they were thinking while all this craziness was going on. 

In this story they also try to explain why there are no longer giants on earth. I had never though about giants being a part of the Noah’s Ark story, but I think it is really interesting. Noah says he couldn’t bring giant or Og's (whatever those are) onto the ark because they were too big, and there is no room for them.



I love astronomy, so I loved that there was a little section in this story about some of the constellations. They talked about how God switched where Bear and Pleiades were in the sky, and that now it looks as if Bear is chasing Pleiades. My absolute favorite class in high school was astronomy, and I have always been interested in the stars and the story’s associated with them. I think I might write a story about the stars one week in this class. 

A few other things that stood out to me are:

-The famous olive leaf symbol that the dove brings back to the ark


- The quote "Be fruitful and multiply upon the earth"


1 comment:

  1. Hi Macey! I just happened to see this post go by (I kind of keep an eye on the stream)... and I noticed what you said about star stories. That is one of the most cool mythological traditions that there are. All the different cultures have their own star stories, although the Greek ones are the most famous. I collected some online resources about that here (it's an interest of mine too!): Constellation Stories: Free Online Books ... definitely keep that in mind as a possible Storybook topic for brainstorming later this week! :-)

    ReplyDelete